Get ready Hobart, it’s time to “paint the town red” for another year of Dark Mofo, and this year get ready for more weird and wonderful traditions along with eerie, ominous vibes.
What Is Dark Mofo?
If you’ve got no clue what we’re talking about, Dark Mofo is one of the weirdest and wildest festivals in Australia, with a lineup to match. This year’s artists include FKA twigs, Jónsi (Sigur Rós) and Alex Somers, Empress Of, Sampa The Great and even one of our faves Mallrat, all spread out over Tassie from June 6th to 23rd.
However if you’re a fan you’ll know that it doesn’t just stop at the music. Dark Mofo also has a huge art program that includes so many different dark and abstract installations made for interaction and individual experiences. However after backlash over inverted crosses at last year’s event, they may have to tone it back on the anti-Christ displays.
This year you can experience symposiums on ‘Dark and Dangerous thoughts’, subject your body and mind to the intensities of sound, get lessons from medical professionals on the dead, get a tatt from Lauren Winzer herself, and finish off with a ritual after-dark party at Night Mass. Oh and of course the annual winter solstice nude swim marking the end of the festival (however registration has closed so it’ll be more of a spectator sport if you missed out this year).
1. Tickets for each event sell out fast, so plan ahead by deciding on the acts you’d most like to see and buy the tickets ASAP.
2. Don’t forget about the free activities – you should aim to squeeze some in to your itinerary so you aren’t spending a fortune on tickets.
3. It’s basically the coldest festival in Australia so make sure you take plenty of warm clothes.
4. Once the sun goes down and the winter chills kicks in, the place to be is at Mofo’s Winter Feast, “a mass celebration of cooking with fire” that you won’t want to miss.
5. Dark Mofo events are spread out around the city and surrounds, so download SearchParty before you go, create a Party with your friends and you’ll be able to see where they’re at when they emerge from their nude swim – or when you come back to earth after your soundbath.
Not sure where to start? Head to the website for a survival guide designed to help you get through the festival without any hiccups.
FKA twigs, Sharon Van Etten, Nicolás Jaar, Jónsi (Sigur Rós) + Alex Somers + the TSO: Riceboy Sleeps, Liminal Soundbath: Jónsi (Sigur Rós) + Alex Somers, Dirty Three, John Grant, KiKufeaturing Blixa Bargeld + Black Cracker, serpentwithfeet, Kelsey Lu, Anna Calvi, Augie March, Roger Eno, Teho Teardo + Blixa Bargeld, Night Mass (featuring: Empress Of, Mallrat, Sampa The Great, FAKA, Gabber Modus Operandi, Jungle Pussy, Teto Preto), Hymns to the Dead (featuring Funebrarum, Dragged into Sunlight, Heresiarch, Mystifier, Zhrine), Borderlands with Room40(featuring: Joe Tahlia + Eiko Ishibashi, Kusum Normoyle, Lucy Railton, Rafael Anton Irisarri, Stephen O’Malley, The Sheer Frost Orchestra), Costume, UF (Kerridge + OAKE), Laterne by Berlin Atonal (ft. Aïsha Devi ft. MFO present ∞E=TRv, Lucrecia Dalt presents Synclines, LABOURpresent next time, die consciously (بیگانگی), Puce Mary, Vatican Shadow presents Media In The Service Of Terror), The Quarry, Second Woman, Van Diemen’s Band: My Heart Swims in Blood.